Tuesday, November 24, 2009

First Encounters

Well last night was the first time Adriana and Paxton met. I have been very anxious for this moment for some time. I wondered what Adriana would think about him and having him around. She did really good at first. She liked seeing his pacifier and seeing his fingers and all his little features. She liked holding him and was just curious about him for a long time. However, that quickly changed. She hasn't wanted anything to do with me since I left for the hospital. She never wanted to talk on the phone with me or give me the time of day. Last night, I thought she would be excited to see me, but she didn't hardly look at me. She was very upset with me and only wanted me to hold the baby and let no one else hold him. It was very hard on me seeing her act that way. Later on, Ryan gave her a bath and she just looked at him with tears in her eyes and told him that she didn't want baby brother around anymore and that she didn't like him. Well, of course this crushed Ryan and he started crying then he thought I could come in and talk to her and I started crying. It was a very rough night. She didn't want to go to bed or talk to us about why she was so upset. I laid down with her for a little bit at bedtime and later heard her crying in her room. I went in and talked to her some more. She just wanted me to lay with her and hold her hand. She was fighting sleep so much, but was so upset. I had to go in there one other time and do the same thing, hold her hand, while she fell asleep. Needless to say, mine and Ryan's hearts were broken last night. I knew it would be a HUGE adjustment for her, but I didn't think she would be so heart broken over Paxton.
Today was a better day. She has talked to him and has let me love on her. We are trying to keep things as normal as possible, but also trying to include him in our lives. It will take time, but I am thankful that today is going a lot better.
Paxton has done very well so far. He is a very laid back baby. He has yet to cry here at home, which I am thankful for. He's a good sleeper and just takes it all in.
Here are some pictures of Adriana and her new baby brother.
Despite the look on her face, this is when she
was still excited about her new brother.
Mimi, Paxton, Adriana and her new baby
Today, which is a lot better, Adriana standing
next to Paxton while he's "just a swingin'"

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh how sad Lori. I have tears streaming down my face. I can totally understand what you guys are going through. Haven't been there yet, but I am almost 100% sure that Zachary would act the same way as Adriana. Hang in there!

ellerbee eight said...

It'll get better and it will be one of those family memories you look back on and laugh about. I promise.

The Pierces said...

Wow! God will give you and Ryan the wisdom that you need...This must have hurt a lot- Try to be patient with her. You all are good parents and it sounds like Adriana is already being more open to Paxton. I will be praying for all of you....Have fun!!