Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Insert Foot in Mouth

So I had to stick my foot in my mouth today, the first time in a long time. I was on my way inside to pick up Adriana from school and saw another mom from her class. I knew she was pregnant and was due in December. As we were walking in, I said, "Aren't you due about anytime". Now keep in mind, I have only talked to the woman once and I knew she was due in December, that was about the extent of our conversation. So after I asked her that question, she so kindly replied that she had the baby on Saturday. I could have died! I thought she had looked smaller, but didn't really pay that close attention. I tried to cover myself, but it was too late. I felt horrible! Now, granted, when I got back to work from my maternity leave, 6 weeks after having Adriana, I got asked twice in that week when I was due, it didn't really bother me, except these were honest questions by guys that I worked with everyday. Did they not notice I hadn't been there for a month and a half? And that I was, hopefully, a little bit smaller after birthing a 9lbs baby? Anyway, I don't really get offended that easily, but nevertheless, I felt horrible after making my comment. I then proceeded to make up for my stupidity by asking how old her other one was (the one in Adriana's class) saying that he looked small for his age. So not only am I saying she still looks 9 months pregnant but I'm calling her child a runt. Way to go, Lori! Maybe I should be a motivational speaker.
Lets see, between me falling last week at her school like a moron and insulting the parents, why don't we just change my name to Grace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! I must say that I could imagine myself doing the same thing as I read about your conversation. Sorry ~
Jessie

Jeanie said...

Oh Lori... LOL!!! Killin' me. Sometimes you just can't win. I totally know how you feel.