Thursday, January 7, 2010

Lemon Chicken and Spinach Pasta

I have come across a great new recipe that I would like to share. Its easy, healthy and great to make for company. I have made it a few times and everyone I've made it for really likes it.
Ingredients:
  • 12oz Penne or Bow Tie pasta (I use the bow tie)
  • 2 cups of cooked chicken or turkey
  • 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 lbs spinach-stems removed
  • 4 garlic cloves-cut up
  • 6 scallions
  • 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 1 can of chicken broth
  • 2-3 Tablespoons of butter
  • 1 Tablespoon of lemon zest
  • Romano or Parmesan Cheese to garnish
  • 1 cup of mushrooms (if desired)

All my ingredients, I'm ready to go!

Precook pasta in salted water, drain and spray with Pam or stir in a little olive oil.

In large skillet heat the olive oil with the garlic, scallions, and lemon slices. Stir in the precooked meat of your choice. After all ingredients are heated thoroughly, bring in the chicken broth and cook until it is evaporated. (there will be some juice left) Remove the lemon slices. Add the butter and spinach until wilted. Lastly add as much pasta to your dish as you desire and gently stir.

My scallions, lemons, garlic, lemon zest, and

in the shot glass is my olive oil, not my whisky!

My chicken after being cooked, being cut up.

When I add the spinach.

After the spinach cooks down, just need to add

the pasta.

And Done!

Complete the creation by sprinkling the lemon zest across the top of the dish along with Romano or Parmesan cheese. (I've never used the cheese or mushrooms, so don't know what flavor that brings to it). Serves 4-6 people. Enjoy!

I like this recipe because it uses very common ingredients, which I love to cook recipes that are "down to earth" when it comes to the ingredients. Some advice. I get chicken tenders and season them with salt and pepper and cook for about 20 minutes. By the time you get the garlic, lemon and scallions cut up, and in the pan, the chicken is done and ready to be cut up and added to the mixture. Also, I don't use a pound of spinach, that seems like a lot. I use about 2 cups or so. It takes a little time taking off the stems, so pretty much when I get tired of doing that, I just put in whatever I have. Also, don't forget to zest your lemon before you cut it up. Its a lot easier to do, when your lemon is whole and not in little pieces. :)

I hope you try this dish. Its a light and healthy meal with lots of flavor. Let me know what you think!

A side note. Adriana loves to walk around and take pictures with our camera. While I had the camera in the kitchen for this meal, she grabbed it and took a picture of Paxton. I thought it was cute. From her point of view this is all she can see. Look at the rolls on his legs. I love it!

5 comments:

Hilary said...

YUM1 I am going to put this on my weekly meal menu for next week. Thanks for posting that. I must say you are MOM of the year cooking a fancy dinner like this with a 2ish year old and newborn. IMPRESSED!
P.S. I still have Paxton's MOPS onsie. I will try to bring it to school on Monday.

Hilary said...

It's me again....I got your comment. I need to get your e-mail so that we can chat back and forth! Also, I am human, I love to label things, and yes we are doing the clothing swap in February. It might cut into discussion time but I want to do some sort of service project and it is always a big hit. See you Monday. HIL

Pierce family said...

Sounds delicious! Thank you, Lori, for your kind gift and the picture of Paxton. It really meant a lot to me. It was good to catch up with you on the blog. I will be back on ours soon!

missjan said...

Lori,
that looks very delicious. and the photo by adrianna, that could win a contest of sorts. funny. cute. your life is so interesting. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey your website is nice
Check out at that cool emo video clip:
http://tinyurl.com/9tqcum