Monday, October 6, 2008

My Soap Box

As a mom of a little child I have many frustrations. One of the biggest ones that I have is over giving medicine to a child under the age of 2. I know that this may seem like I'm writing this out of mid-air, but Adriana was under the weather this weekend, and it just reminded me of this frustration of mine. Anyone who has a little child can probably relate. There is nothing worse to a parent than to have a sick baby on your hands and them not being able to communicate with you and tell you what they are feeling. You would want nothing more than to take away that stuffy nose, or achy, swollen gums or stomach flu from your child and even bear it yourself, if it would make them feel better, but unfortunately we can't. So whats the next step? Medicine. What do you do when you have a head cold or upset stomach, you take medicine to try to help ease the pain. I'm not all about doping up your baby, but I do think that there are times when your baby needs medicine. If you go into a pharmacy or call your doctor's office, and your child is under the age of 2, you are out of luck. There is nothing they can do, or so they say. I think that is a load of crap! Let's take a stuffy nose for instance, baby's get stuffy noses pretty easily. I'm sorry but saline solution doesn't do the trick all the time. Last winter they took off any decongestant drops for infants. I remember last Christmas we were down in Alabama and Adriana got pretty stuffed up. I ran a humidifier, I sucked out her nose, I gave her drops but nothing was working. I called my doctors office to see if they could prescribe something, and they refused. Are you kidding me! You want to pump my newborn baby with tons of vaccines that can shock their little nervous systems and can even cause permanent damage, but you won't prescribe me some nose drops?! I just get highly irritated, I guess little babies are just suppose to suffer and not sleep because they have a stuffy nose! This goes beyond stuffy noses. They don't want to give any child that young meds, which I can understand their cautious behavior, but come on, every once and awhile, I think its okay to give them something. I just get so irritated! I ran into the same problem this weekend, looking for over the counter meds for her and found NOTHING at Wal-Mart or Walgreens. "Sorry I guess you and your child are out of luck!" I get so frustrated at the whole system.
Okay, breathe!! Sorry, had to get that off my chest. Have a great Monday! :)

2 comments:

The Shindels said...

Here's a simple solution...find a good chiropractor. We took Adon to a chiropractor at 6 weeks because of congestion. He wasn't "sick" because his snot was clear, so I definitely didn't want to take him to a doctor who would give him antibiotics that wouldn't even fix the problem. Our chiropractor saw him as a favor to us, so he didn't do any adjustments...although there are pediatric chiropractors...but he did show us how to do some accupressure massage to break up the congestion. It worked! In a couple of days it was gone!! We much prefer any natural remedies to the idea of "pumping him full of drugs." :o) Some friends of ours have taken their kids to the chiropractor to help with colic, bronchitis, asthma, and so much more!!! Give me a call and I'll walk you through the accupressure for Adriana!

Lori said...

That's a good idea, Annie, thank you. I have been to the chiropractor several times for myself, and my mom has even suggested sending Adriana to one, but I guess I just never think of it as an option. I do know from experience that it does work in great ways.