Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sweatin' with the Oldies

Well today was my first day to "workout" with my new gym membership. Let me tell you, I was about the youngest person in there. I like this gym a lot better than ones I have used in the past. We had belonged to one that was all young people, with ripped muscles and perfect bodies. I always felt fat, and frumpy when around those kind of people. This gym that I joined now, is totally opposite. Its "real" people. There's no loud music, the trainers aren't 19 year olds on steroids, its a great gym for us imperfect people. This was the first time I have really worked out since Adriana was born. (I'm ashamed to admit that, but its the truth). I ran/walked a mile, rode a bike for 3 miles and lifted weights, I didn't over do it, but I feel good with what I did get done.
Now I'm not kidding when I say that there are a bunch of older people that are there. They have a work out class for people with Arthritis in the early morning. If truth be told, I would prefer older people to younger people. I feel less intimidated by them. Everyone there is really nice. There was this older lady, i would say in her 70's or so that was on the treadmill next to me. Then when I went to the bike, she jumped on one too. Then when I went downstairs to go lift weights, she was pumping iron with me there too. I had noticed her and how fragile she was, and when I went to go lift weights on some machine she came over and told me I was doing it wrong and showed me the right way to do it. I hate those machines anyway, because I always have to look at the picture on how to use them without letting everyone know I have no idea what I'm doing, but then to have this little 90lbs lady show me how to leg presses, I just felt stupid.
I want to be clear, I am not, for one minute, making fun of older people, I love them. I just have never seen so many active and working out in a gym, everyday. My hat is off to them. I hope that 50 years from now, I can show some young whipper snapper how to work out properly.

3 comments:

Kara said...

I love the title!

missjan said...

hey watch out, remember old missjan,lol. its great keeping up with you lori. adrianna is so adorable and i can't wait to spend some time with you all. enjoy all these days to the max. my "baby" turned 21 Aug 24th. talk about sweatin with the oldies...lol

Mom B. said...

Glad you like old folks, since dad and I fit into that category. HA I may want to join this gym and work out with you when we move into town. Can't wait to spend great quality time with you Lori!