Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rough Times at the Naylors

I think the title says it all for how I feel. This last week has been very trying. Its times like this, that makes you not like being a parent. I love my kids with all my heart, but when they aren't sleeping, and they cry, throw fits, hit you for no reason, scream, and are just moody, it makes you not like this parenting gig too much. I know it will pass, I just hope it passes QUICKLY!
Adriana is still having a very hard time with this no passy thing. She won't take her naps, she's mad at me all the time, it takes her a long time to fall asleep at night and worst of all, she is waking up, every night, screaming at the top of her lungs. It hasn't been pleasant for any of us. I know she is so sad and so upset, but I never thought it would be this bad. On the other hand, for some reason she has wanted to hold Paxton a lot this week. Before this week she had only held him 2 times. She is loving it and just wanting to be more of a help when it comes to him (for the most part, she did throw a camera at his face this week, but we won't bring that up!). Here are some pictures of her eagerness wanting to hold Paxton, you can tell by the look on his face, that he is not too thrilled.




Ryan's work as been REALLY slow this winter, the worst winter yet. This has added to stress in our house, because if he doesn't find work, we don't get an income. He has been coming home early almost everyday for the last 2 weeks or so. I hate that he isn't finding work, but on the plus side, I've needed him home, especially this last week.
When we moved, I was very pregnant and very worn out from the move. I slacked off in a few of the rooms, one being our spare room/office, the garage and our laundry room. I never wanted to go this long without doing some much needed organization, but between juggling 2 kids, the holidays and all the fun that daily life brings, I just never got the chance. For some reason, I got a fire lit under my rear this last week and decided to tackle to laundry room. I had started on it, but every time I went to work on it, a child would arise from their nap and it sat half done for a few days. I finally got a chance to do it today, because Ryan got off early, so he was able to deal with the kids and I could finish my project. I still want to organize a few things in the cabinets and pantry, but I got things cleaned up for sure, and am pleased with how it turned out. I'm also excited because I was able to use a shelf and baskets that we weren't using to help get things straighted up.


Before--whew, what a mess!


After---Ahhh, much better!


My baskets. I put stuff that took up so much space
in my cabinets, but could easily be thrown into
these baskets for easy access. I put lunch boxes
in one, cleaning rags in another and travel mugs
in the last one.


Our calendar, bill paying station and bulletin
board to help us keep track of Adriana's
school calendar.


A personal touch


And my new mat that I bought to go in front of
the washer and dryer, since I spend half my life
these days doing laundry. At least now, its not
a cold, hard floor, but a nice soft mat.

My next project is to work in the office. I want to set it up as my scrapbook room/office, so I need to get down there and get some organization done.

On another note, I had a good birthday. We didn't do anything special or anything, but it was nice. Ryan took care of the kids, so I could take a nap, and these days that's as good as gold! Ryan got me video editing software that I had asked for. My college degree is in Communications, with an emphasis in video/audio production. I use to put videos together all the time, and really enjoyed it, and really miss it. I'm looking forward to using it and making some videos of Adriana and Paxton.

Sorry I may seem kind of down. Don't make any calls or anything, I'm not depressed, just anxious to get this whole fussy stage passed us. It can really wear on me, and I don't have a high tolerance for it. I'll try to be more upbeat next time....

4 comments:

The Shindels said...

I totally understand, Lori! I find myself so impatient with the boys with all of the whining and fussing...even when they are sick. I feel like a terrible mom! I've been so thankful that the worst of it (hopefully!) was while J was off and he's been so helpful! Hang in there. Sleep when you can. And pray a lot! :o) I've been trying to have worship music playing in the background the last few days, and it does a world of good for my attitude and tolerance level. Maybe that will help you, too. :o)

renee said...

it will get better...so sounds like a cop out answer, but it usually does. sucks to be in it in the moment...but you're not alone. love.
ps. your laundry/office/whatever else looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Hilary said...

Couple things....
1. YOU ARE A GREAT MOM! Keep repeating that to yourself. I think we are very similar in that we get overwhelmed when our kid(s) are cranky, fussy, or when we are tired. Hang in there!

2. Not trying to tell you how to do it AT ALL...but I had to illiminate Z's afternoon nap after he went to a big bed. It was terrible to lose that afternoon nap. The good news was he went down for bed SUPER early and willingly. It's tough. I know you really need your afternoons free for sanity and sleep. Hang in there. Praying for you!

3. Your laundry room is AWESOME. I love that little desk area for bilss & organization. I need one of those.

4. You are in my prayers for more work for Ryan, more sleep for the kids, and some peace.
YOu go girl!

P.S. the look on Paxton's face when A is holding him is priceless!

The Pierces said...

Hang in there, Lori! I know you have people praying for you and your family. Music,that was mentioned above, is a good idea. I also used lullaby music and a book for my kids at sleep times. The bedtime routine seemed to help us. You are a good mom. I know it is hard -I have been there...it will get better! We are praying for you.