Friday, February 19, 2010

A new Day

Note: I was going to post a picture of Adriana on here, but don't know where the child has put my camera, and I'm too tired to hunt for it now.

Today, our baby turned 3 years old. Wow, where on Earth has the time gone? It doesn't seem possible that my baby, is now getting to be such a big girl. She is really starting to come into her own. Her imagination is taking shape, and its fun to see her play by herself and see how she interacts with baby dolls and other toys. Her vocabulary seems to grow everyday, along with her sassyness. She is still a sweet, kind hearted little girl, but knows how to push the buttons on her parents, especially her mom.
This last month has seemed to be filled with so many new things for her. For one thing, we just started letting her sleep without a pull up on. This was a big step for me. Mainly, because I didn't want to be up in the middle of the night changing sheets. I also wanted to get Paxton to the point of sleeping through the night, that way I wouldn't be up with both kids all night long. I have to say, we are going on 2 weeks of no diapers during nap time or bed time and she has only had one accident. I am very proud of her!
I would guess our major new battle, that I just decided yesterday to wage war with, is taking her passy away from her. I know, I know, she is too old to still have her pacifier, and for that I feel like a bad mom. I feel almost embarrassed that my kid is turning 3 and just now getting off her passy, but this has been a HUGE thing for me to finally do. I have talked for months about taking it away from her and have come up with excuse after excuse on why she should still have it. Well, I can't take it now, we're going to be moving, or Paxton is coming and that will be a huge change for her, just any little thing I thought of not to do it, I did. I didn't want to cause my baby so much pain. This child's passy is her WORLD, and I mean that with my whole heart. ANYTIME she gets upset, hurt (both physically or emotionally), or needs to go to bed, her passy was her go to. She would take that thing over me and Ryan any day.
I don't know what it was, but for some reason, that's all I could think about and dream about 2 nights ago. How I always said I would have her off of it by the age of 3, and well, today is her birthday, so yesterday, I told her the passy fairy came and got it. That's a whole different story in itself, but let me just say, I haven't seen her this sad, since the night we brought Paxton home from the hospital. For all you faithful readers out there, you can remember what a devastation that was to her, this is just as bad, if not worse. I know that this will pass, I'm just praying that it will pass QUICKLY! It wears on me and its hard for me to be patient with a screaming child in the middle of the night. I'm sad for her, but know this is for the best.
Well, I feel like it is midnight and its only a little after 10pm. I am tired and need my sleep. Both kids are staying over at my parents tonight. I am worried sick that Adriana will have a melt down in the middle of the night, and/or Paxton will wake up, for some reason, and not settle back down. I hope they both do good tonight....for my parents sake!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

First of all Adriana's birthday party was adorable. What a wonderful idea for a party! I can't believe she is 3....I did not realize how close in age she is to Z. They will both be in the class of 2025...scary!

As for the paci...I truly know what you are going through. Zachary loved his "nina" more than life itself! Being that my husband and I are both in the dental world we always told parents to get rid of them. That was until our son LOVED his. Right before Z started preschool he was getting so possessive with it and controlling our lives with it. It got so bad that my husband just cut the tip of it off while we were on driving. I thought I was going to die because I was the one that was going to have to deal with Z at naps, etc. It took 24-36 hours but after that it was over. I think it was harder on me than Z. Hang in there! Kevin and I agree that pacis are much easier to stop than sucking thumbs. If you give it back to her you might try these other options:
cutting tip off (of all the pacis)
put the paci in a build a bear
Wrap up the paci with A's help and mail it to a new baby

Good luck. I'll be praying for you!

The Pierces said...

Getting rid of Victoria's pacifier was a breeze. I wanted it gone before Phillip was born...and they are only 18 months apart. A month before he was born I started working with her. She had no problem giving it up. WOW! Later when I went to the hospital to give birth to Phillip..he ended up in ICU so my mom would stay with Victoria while I was at the hospital. I walked in the house on day to find Victria with her pacifier..."MOM, what is she doing with that in her mouth??" Mom said that Victoria would go get it whenever she wanted then return it when she was done with it. I had hidden it, but obviously Victoria knew my hiding place. She was a lot smarter than I gave her credit for...oh, and she also held on to the pacifir a little longer!