Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yet, Another Blessing


(Sorry the picture isn't the best, Adriana HAD to take it).

God blesses our family ALL the time, its just most of the time, we take it for granted. ALL of us can find blessings in our lives. One of the big blessings God has blessed us with is with formula. I know this sounds silly, but this stuff is like liquid gold (or at least that's how they price it). When I was pregnant with Paxton, I started a "Formula Fund" to start saving up for this HUGE expense. These cans go for about $13/can. One can lasts about 3 days, so you can do the math. I found out that people sell unused cans on Craigslist for a fraction of the price. (Majority of the people selling these cans are on the WIC program abusing it, but since we don't qualify for WIC and can't afford it a full price, this is where we have found the best place to buy this.) I have to say, with Paxton being 5 months old, we have yet to buy a can at full price. Today was a huge blessing. There was a lady selling 30 cans for $200, which is about $6.66/can. This is still a great price, but a huge chunk of money to be out of right now. Winter was hard on us, financially, and we are still trying to get on our feet. I met this lady this morning to get these cans and before we made our transaction, I asked her if they were expired. It didn't even dawn on her to check the date. Well, come to find out, only 13 cans WEREN'T expired, so she only charged me $80 for these cans. She felt really bad that the majority of them were bad, so she asked me if I wanted the ones that expired in Jan/Feb, so I took them. I think they will still be okay, its powder, its not going to go bad overnight. So to sum up, I got 23 cans for $80 which boils down to less than $3.50/can. What a HUGE blessing in our time of need!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

You Go GIRL! Man that is great!!! I know I used to buy peoples formula reward coupons on ebay to save some extra $$. This is better than that! You should be very proud of yourself.

The Shindels said...

Hooray!! It's a good thing Paxton isn't a picky/sensitive baby. My friend's baby is on a VERY expensive formula, because she's allergic to everything else. A OB nurse at the hospital told her it was literally "liquid gold" and they couldn't give it to any babies unless the doctor ordered it!