Monday, August 11, 2008

Our Camping Trip

Well we got back yesterday afternoon from our mini vacation, and we had a blast! We went to St. Louis with my best friend and her husband for a "kid free" vacation. This is the third year we have done this, and I look forward to it every year. This year we attempted to tackle camping, and I am proud to say, that we made it through without killing each other! Susan and Jim have a pop-up camper that we all slept in. We figured in the middle of August sleeping in a camper with A/C might be the best thing, however, once we got there, we realized that a part to the A/C was missing, therefore we wouldn't have any air this weekend. It actually worked out really well. It has been a heat wave the last few weeks here, with a heat index of at least 100 degrees, however this last weekend, starting on Thursday (the first day down there), a cold front moved through and we couldn't ask for better weather. With the high in the mid to upper 80's each day and into the 60's at night, it was absolutely perfect camping weather.
While we were in STL, I was able to visit with a couple of friends that I don't get to see that often and visit my Alma mater, MoBap. I got to see my friend Mindy (who was in our wedding), Annie (a college roommate), and friends who still work at MoBap (Rob and Renee). I had so much fun visiting people and catching up with them. I am so blessed to have such great friends, even if I don't get to see them that often anymore.
Overall, we had a great time. I would say the worst part was having to drive to that bath house every time you had to use the bathroom, which during the day, it wasn't so bad, but in the middle of the night, it got to be a nuisance. Despite that little inconvenience, we had a great park to camp in.
It was so nice to do what we wanted to do, when we wanted to do it. We got to go to a movie, shop, go to a nice dinner, go to Six Flags and just bum around. It was nice not to have to worry about diaper bags, nap times, babysitters, etc. It was a good break for all of us and though we enjoyed it, we still missed our babies, and were ready to get back home. Here are some pictures from our trip. We can't wait till next year.
This is us "roughing it" as we lie in the camper watching movies.
Us around the bonfire on the last night.
Me and Susan hanging out by the campfire,
We are men, hear us roar! Jim and Ryan beating
their chest like cavemen, as they were trying
to have the biggest bonfire in the camp ground.
Me and Mindy after lunch.

3 comments:

renee said...

i made the blog! yessssssss!

Kara said...

That looks like so much fun. I'm glad that yall got what was probably a much needed break. I hope to see ya sometime soon!

Jen said...

I love that picture of you and susan in the chairs! I may steal it to have a recent pic of my hs girls :) Looks like a fun trip!! I'm good with not having to drive to the bathroom though haha