Friday, June 27, 2008

Sweet Summertime

There are so many tastes and smells and memories that come to mind when I think of summertime. I would say the first thought is of the hot, sticky, muggy weather. In my opinion, that is about the worst thing about summer. I remember as a kid my grandpa taking me and my brother to the pool, movie matinee in a cold theater and going to play arcade games in the mall. I also remember riding around on my bike in the neighborhood and waiting for the front porch light to come on, letting us know it was time to go in. As a teenager I remember hanging out at Sonic, with some of my best friends and talking about the future. Wanting to be roommates together and where we were going to go to college. We would also go to the park at dusk and play on the swings or go out to the country and stare up at the stars. As an adult and a parent, my summertime is spent very differently. I avoid being outside too long because of bug bites and sunburns. Its about playing in the water with Adriana or blowing bubbles in the front yard and dancing around, not caring that the cars passing by might think I'm crazy. Summertime is juicy watermelon, sweet strawberries, fresh blackberries pies, and yummy BBQ. I love the smells of summer, the fresh cut grass, the smell of the pool and sunscreen, the smell of blooming flowers and the smell of rain on a summer night. There are so many things I love about summer. I also love the town we live in, Ozark. Its just a small town between Branson and Springfield. I went to a Farmers Market (also something I remember doing as a kid with my grandpa) on the town square yesterday and got some fresh produce there. They had a couple of people playing fiddles and guitars, fresh baked goods, homemade candles and bird feeders, canned veggies and jams and jellies. I just love the feel of a small town and buying things from local people to help them out and give back to the community. While I was shopping there I remembered why I love the summer and all the good things that come with it.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Your blog makes me want to be there.

I love the summertime except for the intense heat here in Alabama. I guess I'll spend my summer getting in shape and working a whole lot.

Kara said...

This sounds like a page right out of a book. Great description, makes me so much happier it's summertime right now. It is much different with little kids!