Friday, June 20, 2008

The Perfect Storm

Well, we have had our share of storms lately. It stormed at least 3 times here yesterday and one was pretty bad. It was around 3:30pm or so and I had been watching the weather all afternoon, as a big storm was slowly making its way towards us. I wasn't too worried about it until they were saying that Ozark (the town we live in) was going to see the worse of the storms. They even advised people not to be in Wal-Mart (which is 1 mile from our house) because of the potential of a tornado. They gave us about a 20 minute warning, saying that a little after 4pm the storm was going to reach Ozark. I looked out our back door and watched as the sky grew angry and dark. The closer it got, the wind picked up and the thunder rolled across the sky. I started freaking out when they were talking about Ozark getting it about 5 miles from where we are now. The sirens started going off and we were told to seek shelter immediately. I quickly gathered a radio, a portable TV, flash lights, the usual storm emergency supplies. I gathered Adriana out of her bed (luckily she had just woke up, so I didn't have to wake her) and I grabbed Zoe. We headed for the hall bathroom and I tried to tune in the TV to see what was coming this way. I couldn't see any picture really, but I was just trying to listen. As I frantically try to hear what they are saying as the storm was upon us, I hear Zoe hissing and growling at Adriana and Adriana laughing because she thinks its funny when Zoe does that. I tried to tell them to be quite, as I fear the worse. I only hear bits and pieces, and all I could hear then was them saying "if you are by the Wal-mart and Goodwill (both within a mile) then you are getting the brunt of the storm". I hate not being able to see outside to see what its doing. I was scared. Between my anxiety, Zoe's hissing, and Adriana torturing the poor cat, it was a perfect storm in our little bathroom. Luckily, we didn't get anything real bad. I'm not a big fan of storms, never have been, but when you're a mom and you know you have to try to protect someone other than yourself, its a scary feeling. Adriana managed to pull everything out of the cabinets (which was all baby medicine), and make a huge mess, but I didn't mind, as long as we were okay.

As the storm approched, view from our deck.


The aftermath of the storm in our bathroom, thanks to a smaller and cuter tornado.

1 comment:

The Shindels said...

smaller and cuter tornado? cute. :o) Adon's scooting and rolling over more, but far from getting into things. lol