Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pumpkin Carving

Well the Saturday before Halloween (which Halloween was on a Monday this year), we all of a sudden got in the mood to go to a pumpkin patch. It was a nice Saturday, and we woke up and decided we were going to go. Well, that quickly got squashed when we saw how expensive it was going to be and for the amount of time we were going to spend there, we didn't think it was worth the money. Second best thing? Carve pumpkins at our house. My dad was in town for a visit (currently they are living in Jefferson City with my grandma, being her full time caretakers, so they alternate coming home each week). I felt bad, my dad signed up for a pumpkin patch and by the time he drove out to our house, we had changed our minds, so instead, he sat outside and watched us carve pumpkins. We had a good time. It was such a nice fall day, actually quiet in our neighborhood and just had a good time talking. I love it when "plan B's" end up working out probably better than Plan A would have.

Adriana was SO excited about carving her pumpkin. Well, as you can guess she didn't really do much carving, Ryan got stuck with that job, but she loved pulling the seeds out and coloring on her pumpkin once it was carved.

We had bought a "Carving Kit". Those things are tricky and very time consuming. I branched out and created my own. I got real creative and made a big letter "N".


Poor Ryan worked feverishly on both Adriana and his and here I never got a picture of his finished pumpkin. His turned out really good, he made a haunted house, but by the time he finished, I had already put the camera away. Sorry for not getting a picture, Ryan, but here is the hard work and determination that was written all over your face.


Of course we did all of this while Paxton was down for his nap. I don't even want to think about the mess he would have made if he was in the mix. So when he got up, I let him color his pumpkin. He was so excited!




All our little pumpkins in a row. Starting at the top step: Ryan's, Adriana's, mine and Paxton's.


Such a fun, fall memory!

No comments: