Monday, July 25, 2011

Our First Garden

I have had more trouble getting this blog post written and uploaded, that since I have started, my garden is actually half dead. But nevertheless, I press on.
This year was our first garden. I was super excited to grow our own veggies, or at least try anyway. I don't exactly have a green thumb. I get all excited in the spring, go and buy flowers and it looks really good, but then, a week goes by and I've realized that I haven't watered my flowers. Some hang in there, but most of them are long gone before a month is through. SO, with that being said, I was excited about getting a vegetable garden going, but also leery that my wonderful planting skills would come to pass and we would have nothing growing but weeds. Well, I am proud to say, that we had a very fruitful garden this year. I planted asparagus (which we can't pick until next year), squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes and green peppers. I did fight something this year eating our plants, so that's why I think half of our crop is gone, but I'm still pleased with the result.
So, in order to have a nice garden you need a nice garden bed. So we built one. Correction, my mom built one. I'm glad she knows what she is doing, because she did it a lot better than we would have. I'm very thankful for a hard working Mom that is willing to come out and pour blood, sweat and tears into helping us build a garden.


As you can see, my mom had more than enough
helpers to get started. The dog even got in on
the action.


The finished bed. I wish I would have taken a
picture of it a week or two ago. Its amazing how
fast vegetables grow.



This was my first crop. It got bigger and better

but it was such a great feeling to grow your own

food. We'll definitely be doing this next year.

1 comment:

MissMolly said...

Don't feel bad - I just read another blog poster from Missouri who said most of her garden died as well! I plan on doing one like yours next year. I tried a few small tomatoes and herbs this year, and pretty much failed! You'll learn for next year :)