Monday, November 1, 2010

Lamps

Its funny, tonight I went into Paxton's room to turn on his little lamp and my mind was flooded with thoughts of my mom. There, I said it, lamps remind me of my mom. I know she will be so flattered by this statement, but let me explain. To me, there's nothing more cozy than having a lamp on in a room. Its just sets a soft light that makes the room so cozy. The reason I think of my mom is because growing up, both of my parents worked. We thought it was wonderful when mom took the day off. (We later found out, when she took days off, she was throwing away junk from our closets and rooms.) Anyway, there was a warmth in the house, when we would get off the school bus and come into a house that smelled like chocolate chip cookies. Our rooms were always so clean (b/c of all the junk that had been thrown out), our beds were made with the covers folded down, looking so inviting and our lamps were on. It totally made the room feel so cozy. I remember when we moved about 3-4 weeks before I was due with Adriana, my parents still lived in JC, and my mom knew how exhausted I was, so she came down and helped me settle into our new place, before the baby came along. I remember when I left for work that morning, the house was in shambles, but my mom, being wonderful and hardworking, had that place so homey by the time I got off work. Part of that feeling, she had the lamps on throughout the house. I know I may sound crazy for writing about lamps, but its the little things that can bring back so many good memories. Thanks mom, you may not be Motel 6, but I'm glad you always left the light on. (Sorry, I had to.)

2 comments:

The Pierce family said...

LOVE cozy lamps...and candles! You've got a good mom!

mom said...

Thank you for the memories! I remember being so thrilled to be at home when you and Chris came home from school and how I looked forward to having those warm cookies waiting for you. Cozy lamps are like cozy quilts, there's nothing like saying, 'come in and stay awhile' that safe place to come to.