Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Nature Walk Gone Bad

Now, this story is probably 2 months old already, but I wanted to write it down, because its still something I remember and want to tell the kids about someday. I thought it would be a great idea to take the kids on a nature walk and Adriana could collect leaves, sticks, rocks and whatever else she found along the way. (The Picture below was taken at the begining of our trip, all smiles (and pacifer, keep that in mind as the story progresses).)

We brought Milo with us. Me pushing a stroller, holding a leash and trying to corral a 4 year old, was quite a sight. We hadn't gone too far and we came across a little stream.



There was more water flowing through the creek bed than normal, due to a lot of rain. The kids immediately wanted to throw rocks in the stream. I kept Paxton in his stroller, gathered rocks for him and he would sit there to throw them in the creek, they were both having a blast. I decided to keep the party moving, so we said good-bye to the creek and went on our way. (Granted, we had never been on this trail before so around every turn, I was just as anxious to see what was ahead.) Well, a little down the trail was another entrance to the creek. The kids were so excited to throw rocks in the creek again. So, I gathered rocks for Paxton again. This time, the creek was running on both sides of the trail. I'm thankful Adriana is a good listener, for the most part, because having that much water around, a dog, stroller and 2 kids, its not easy to watch everything at every second. Adriana and I were gathering rocks, and I had my back turned to Paxton for just a second and I see him throwing his passy into the creek. Now, his passy was connected to his shirt by a pacifier holder. He ripped it off his shirt and chucked into the fast moving waters. Not only that, he about tipped his stroller over and rolled in the creek. I was a nervous wreck! Paxton is screaming because he is watching his passy float away, I'm about in tears because of the thought of him landing in the creek, PLUS I take off, running along the stream, trying to see if there is any way for me to reach in and grab a $2 passy, but the waters were moving so fast and it was on the opposite side of the creek, so I didn't think it was worth risking my life over. It was quite a sight to say the least. Paxton screamed the entire walk back, the entire ride home. It was such a fun afternoon. If you detect a little sarcasm, good, because I'm laying it on thick. It was a nature walk, I won't soon forget.

No comments: