Thursday, July 15, 2010

Goodbye to a Friend

This last week, I lost a friend, mentor, ex-boss and teacher. Rob Cornwell, was a great man. I knew Rob through my college, MoBap. He wore many different hats while he worked there. I first met him when he was working in the admissions office. Such a friendly, genuine person. As the years went on, I got to know Rob more and more. I really got to know him my last year there, because I was an intern for him. Rob allowed God to use him to touch so many. Towards the end of my second year there, I was getting ready to lose my volleyball scholarship (long story), anyway, I knew without that scholarship paying for a 1/3 of my schooling, there was no way I would be able to attend there next year. The day I realized all of this, Rob found me in the cafe and sat down and started talking to me. He asked me if I would be interested in running sound for an all girls singing group that he was going to be starting the next year. He said he would offer me a scholarship (that ended up being the exact amount my v-ball scholarship was), what a HUGE blessing. Not only did it help pay for my schooling, but it counted as an Audio Internship, which helped me with my credits. Working in "Faithful" was a HUGE blessing and one of the best years of my life. Those girls and Rob will forever have a place in my heart.


Kara, Phoebe, Allison, Rob, Renee and Me--"Faithful"

After my year in "Faithful" I never lost contact with Rob. The last time I saw him was 2 summers ago, when me and Ryan were in STL for a vacation. We ran by the school just to see Rob, his face would always light up when he would see you, made you feel so special. I cherish those times with Rob, such a sweet, godly man.
About 6 months ago, Rob was diagnosed with Colon Cancer. He did several rounds of chemo to help control the cancer. A little over a week ago, him and his wife posted on Facebook that he went to the doctor and found that he was cancer free! The family was so excited. A few nights later, his wife, Missy, found him laying on the bathroom floor, unresponsive. He had suffered a massive heart attack. He was declared brain dead from the lack of oxygen to his brain. After several tests, they decided to take him off life support. We rejoice in the fact that he was a Christan, so we know he is in a better place, but are sad because we know that we will never see his smile light up a room anymore.
He was young, 44 years old, leaving behind a wife and 2 young adult children. He touched so many lives. I can only hope that I can leave half a legacy as he has left. We love you and will miss you deeply Rob!


I love this picture of Rob. Its so him. This picture was taken by his sister just a few weeks ago. You would never believe he was going through chemo at the time. Nothing got him down.

3 comments:

The Shindels said...

Oh, wow! I had no idea so much was going on in Rob's life! I'll be praying for his family, but rejoice that he's "graduated" to Heaven!

MissMolly said...

So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. So sad, especially after being cancer free.

Hilary said...

So sorry for the loss of your friend. Rejoicing that he is with Jesus but sad for his family! Praying for you and Rob's family at this time.