Monday, May 17, 2010

Lori's No Good, Horrible, Very Bad Day

Let me just say, last Thursday was a doozy, in every since of the word. It just seemed like, just because it started off bad, everything that day, was going to go wrong! And it did!
Let's go through this wonderful day, shall we?
I woke up to tornado sirens. Ryan had left really early to go have breakfast "A.K.A. a staff meeting". I am normally super alert and a VERY light sleeper, so much so, I sleep with an ear plug in (that's right, just one, so I can still hear the baby). However, this morning, Paxton woke up EARLY to eat, so Ryan got up with him to feed him. I went ahead and put the other ear plug in my ear, so I could rest better. I have been a walking zombie for the last month or so, because Paxton isn't feeling well, therefore wakes up 4-8 times a night. Anyway, Ryan had left for work, and I hear the sirens, in my sleepy state, I was thinking, "I wonder why they are testing the sirens before 8am?". I finally pulled myself out of sleep and realized that it was very dark out and that the sirens are probably going off for a reason. As soon as I took my ear plugs out, I hear Adriana crying for me. I got out of bed to find her downstairs wondering around in the dark, looking for us. I found her and told her I was right here and then my phone rang, it was Ryan, telling me that there is a bad storm coming. My head is in such a fog at this point, all of this has happened in about 2 minutes. I turn on the TV and they said that if you are in the path of the storm, to seek shelter. I saw that I had about 4 minutes before it hit our town, so I got Adriana downstairs, woke poor Paxton up and got him downstairs too. By this time, it had started raining and blowing so hard. Long story short, every time they would talk about our town, Adriana would start asking why we were downstairs and why we can't eat breakfast at that particular time. We rode out the storm and am thankful that nothing too bad happened. After the dust settled, I fixed Adriana breakfast, but first making sure I spilled her whole cup of milk all over the place. I had Paxton screaming because he was tired and didn't feel good, Adriana begging for her milk and a mental breakdown just around the bind. I know there were several other little things that had gone bad that day, but somehow I have managed to block them all out! The next upset of the day was when I was in Paxton's room changing his sheets before his nap when ALL the fire alarms went off in the house. I had NO idea why they were going off, but knew it was really loud and I needed to get the kids out! Luckily, it wasn't raining at this point in the day, so I put them on the back deck. I ended up calling 911 and having the fire department come. As soon as I hung up the phone with them, I ran back in the house, alarms blaring, to go change out of my PJ's and get Adriana in some clothes too. (This was around noon, I had already showered, but for some reason, thought it could be a lazy day, so I put my PJ's back on, what was I thinking?) So I changed, grabbed clothes for Adriana and ran through the house like a mad woman trying to clean up. I don't know what I was thinking, my house was such a mess. Me picking up a couple of items isn't going to make a dent in the disaster that is my home. The noise was so loud, I just ran back outside with the kids. Adriana was whining to go back in the house so she could finish watching her show. Go figure. It didn't phase her at all that there were sirens going off in our house. All our windows were open, so I knew the neighborhood would be able to hear all the commotion. I went ahead and grabbed the kids and we ran back through the house to go out front and wait for the fire truck to get there. Several minutes later they came. Long story short, the could not determine why the alarms went off. Just tack on one more exciting adventure to the day. The whole time I was sitting out there, waiting for the firemen to finish inside, I was thinking, "Man, I wish I had my camera for my blog to take a picture of the fire engine." I figured the firemen wouldn't appreciate me running in the house to grab the camera, so I just waited. When they gave me the all clear we went on inside. I grabbed my camera and took a shot of it through our window, before they drove off.


The more I thought about it, the more I looked around at the mess in my house. I was mortified by my messing home and hated it that it wasn't any cleaner when they walked through every inch of my house. Here are some of the shots they saw from my house.

The table, after me paying the bills that morning.


Laundry, laundry, laundry.


Of course, The messy kitchen.



Aww, yes, the lighter laying on the floor,
next to the hot glue gun (that wasn't plugged
in) and a pair of scissors. They probably flagged
my house as high risk and called DFS on me
for leaving all these goodies laying right on
my family room floor for a toddler to get into.


That afternoon I took Paxton to the doctor's office. He got his shots, but I was mainly concerned about his head cold that he has had for several weeks. Of course she couldn't find anything wrong, but at least I got his 6 month check up out of the way.
That night we had bought tickets for a Springfield Cardinals game through my MOPS group. We didn't know if it was going to be rained out or not. We waited in town, at my parents house to see if the game was still on. At least it cleared up and we were able to go. They took care of Paxton so we could just take Adriana by herself. We had a great time. Ryan and Adriana played on the playground pretty much the whole time, and I got to sit back and do nothing and visit with my MOPS friends. It was a good end to a very interesting day!

This is a HORRIBLE shot of me. I look like a wet dog.
I had been caught out in the pouring rain at the doctors
office, and since I didn't get a chance to go home and try
to fix myself, this is the result.

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I don't know how you held it all together. When multiple things are going on at once I get so worked up that I cry and yell. Also your house was not a disaster. There are times that I have so many things going on in each area of my house that it looks like we have been robbed. HA! Glad everything worked out okay and that you made it though your day. Also glad we got to see you at the ballgame.