Friday, January 7, 2011

Milo

Allow me to introduce the newest member of our family. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is Milo....

He is a puggle (a Pug/Beagle mix). He actually looks nothing like any puggles I've ever seen, he looks more like a puppy lab. I know what you are thinking right about now, who cares what kind of dog he is, what on Earth are they doing tacking on another member to that family. I know, we are CRAZY! He was a TOTAL spur of the moment buy. This last Saturday, Jan 1, we went to Chuck E. Cheese to get out of the house for a while, and while we were there, I told Ryan we needed to look at PetSmart for a new litter pan for Zoe (they are in the same shopping plaza). Mistake number one!
It was adoption days there, and Adriana LOVES dogs so much. She heard them barking in the back of the store and asked if we could go and see the puppies. Mistake number 2.
I am a SUCKER for animals in need. I CAN NOT stand to go into shelters, pet stores or anywhere else that has caged animals who don't have homes, it breaks my heart. Me and Adriana made it back there to look at the dogs and Milo caught my eye. Mistake Number 3.
Don't make eye contact with the sad animals in the cages, they will get you every time! I actually thought he was a puppy, and there was NO way I wanted to fool with a puppy. When I read his chart, I saw that he was full grown and about a year old. I talked to the lady a little bit about him and she told us we could take him on a walk around the store. Mistake number 4.
Adriana was in LOVE with him. He is so gentle and laid back. He let her love on him and kiss him and be right in his face, and he never barked, growled or snapped at her, so I thought that was a good sign. Me and Ryan talked for a while about it. I haven't wanted a dog for many reasons, but mainly because they can tie you down so much. Don't get me wrong I LOVE dogs and always have, but as an adult you see having pets in a whole new light. Adriana has been BEGGING for a dog for a long time. Her and Ryan were all for it, so when I brought Milo to Ryan, Ryan said it was up to me if we get him or not. My heart was breaking for this dog, something about him brought tears to my eyes thinking of him being in the shelter. After I was told by Ryan not to cry in PetSmart, and after talking to the lady a little more about him, we went ahead and adopted him.

The first night we hit a BIG road block with him, when we took him over to my parents house. He actually settled in quickly there and was content (we hadn't gone to our house yet, we went straight over there after getting him). We let him out in the FENCED in backyard, when it was dark and he got out. Long story short, we had our van, my dad's car and a neighbor of theirs driving around chasing this dog around the block for over an hour! All I can say, is he runs FAST and is very hard to see at night, since he is black. We got him back, safe and sound. We were kind of dishearten when this happened thinking this dog is going to be trouble, but really that was his biggest strike against him. He's a sweet, loving dog, who is taking his time warming up to us and trusting us, but is getting better every day. I think he will fit in perfectly around here.

A Zoe Note: She has actually done really well with him. It helps that he is laid back and doesn't run around and chase her. She has let him know she is boss, and he's actually scared of her. He has gotten the memo that Zoe runs the house and that he will be under her authority.

No comments: